TREATMENT OF ADRENAL Fatigue involves reducing stress on your body and mind, eliminating toxins from your food and environment, avoiding negative thinking and revitalizing your body with the right healthy food for your body. Your body is an amazing machine and, when given the right tools, it can bring itself back into balance.
Recovery from Adrenal Fatigue and chronic low-energy is possible, yet it may take patience and often a complete change in lifestyle. Regardless of how long it takes, the sooner you get started on the road to wellness, the sooner you’ll start feeling better and restoring your adrenals to full health.
- Remove any food from your diet that taxes your adrenal glands.
There are many foods that support adrenal function, but first it’s helpful to remove any foods that are difficult to digest or contain toxins or chemicals.
Foods to avoid:
- Sugar and artificial sweeteners
- Alcohol and soda
- Processed and microwaved foods
- Hydrogenated oils
- Add nutrient-dense foods to your diet that are easy to digest and have healing qualities.
Next you need to add in nutrient-dense foods to give your body a fighting chance to heal. Here are some of my favorite superfoods for adrenal health:
- Cruciferous Vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc.)
- Fatty Fish (e.g., wild-caught salmon)
- Chicken and turkey
- Nuts, such as walnuts and almonds
- Seeds, such as pumpkin, chia and flax
- Kelp and seaweed
- Celtic or Himalayan Sea Salt
- Eat a light, balanced meal every 90 minutes to two hours.
Most of us eat large meals one or two times a day with long stretches in between. This is not helpful when your adrenals are overextended as about 90 min to two hours after you eat a meal your bloodstream runs low on glucose, meaning you’ve run out of the sugars you consumed. Once this happens, your adrenal glands are forced to produce hormones such as cortisol to keep you going. So, if you frequently go for long stretches without eating then your adrenal glands are under a constant strain and you’re not giving them a chance to recuperate.
- Take these “Core 4” supplements every day.
I believe everyone should use a few essential supplements to maintain optimal levels of nutrients.
- High-Quality Multi-Vitamin
- Omega 3s (EPA/DHA, Fish oil)
- Vitamin D
- Reduce stress on your body and your mind.
Here are a few tips to help reduce stress on your body and give your adrenal glands a break so they can recover fully.
- If you feel tired, rest as much as possible.
- Sleep 8-10 hours per night.
- Get more laughter and fun in your day.
- Practice deep belly breathing every day. I recommend the 4-7-8 breathing technique.
- Minimize work and relational stress. Set boundaries with stressful conversations.
- Exercise regularly; even just walking can help.
- Avoid negative people and negative self-talk. Surround yourself with people that encourage you.
- Take time for yourself regularly and do something relaxing.
- If you’ve experienced deep pain and trauma in your life, seek support such as coaching, therapy, or counseling to process any unresolved emotions.
Angela Watson Robertson, MBA, CIHC, INHC, is known as The Reinvention Warrior and host of Masters of Reinvention. Find her free wellness tips, course and programs on her website. For more about the Fatigue Warrior program go here: www.fatiguewarrior.com